Monday, April 27, 2009

The Joke of the Day...


I enjoy a witty sense of humor and really love to laugh over a good joke from time to time. However, with this many kids I can only take so many knock-knock jokes, mom-spell-your-name puns and a-man-walks-into-an-ice-cream-store off shoots. On one particularly harrowing day (the Boy's Life Magazine came in the mail- it is FULL of jokes) I decided that was all I could take and laid down the law. I can only hear ONE joke in a day. Immediately each child tried to tell me their joke. "No, no, no I interrupted... only ONE joke per day, not per person, so you'll have to get up early to get yours in first." Satisfied that I would be left in peace I went about my business. The next morning Grogus was up first as usual. He usually rambles around getting dressed and doing whatever 4 yr olds have to do in the morning and leisurely greets me every morning with "tan [can] I have a banana and peanut buddah?" Short, to the point and no nonsense. This morning however he came tearing down the stairs and ran into my room. I wasn't quite sure what was going on. "Mom, what has 5 wegs, 1 head, a wot of ayms [lot of arms] and," "WAIT!! Grogus, you're messing it up!!! Now we have to wait until tomorrow to tell her the joke", came the disgruntled protest from Bubbadootz, still in his pajamas and I think, only half awake. "Ok, so I tan tell this one to mom? Mom, what goes up the hill with 5 wegs and 1 head, a wot of ayms and some eyes?" Some tids [kids] on a hoyse [horse]!" Bubbadootz was really irritated then, "NOOO That's not it! Grogus you still didn't get it!" He walked back into his room shaking his head in disgust. For almost a month now I have faithfully heard my one joke daily but I can count on one hand the number of jokes I've heard- 5. This is not to say I haven't been told a joke- it just means that I've heard variations of the up the hill one every day. Oh, and the knock-knock joke from Bubbadootz. "Knock-knock, Who's there? Panda. Panda who? Panda bear. Get it mom?" Um... yep, I'm so glad for the joke quota. The older kids' jokes are rather entertaining, Banena on occasion slips hers in when Grogus has stayed up too late. Weewee has no hope. One corny joke is no incentive to get her to give up the pillow any sooner than absolutely necessary! Buster tries an entirely different tactic. He just waits till Dad comes home and unloads his arsenal on him. Win-win for all involved! Plus, Dad can out-corny-joke anyone, even a pack of half-pint clowns!

1 comment: