Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Are you sure this is allowed?

I truly admire parents who start off with the right balance of when to allow something and when to disallow something. It has taken me a whole 6 children to learn to enjoy my baby- in everything she does. Perhaps it is the level of chaos that already exists at my home, nothing she does can make it worse, or perhaps it is the realization of how exquisitely perfect a new little baby is and how much of a blessing she has been to us that causes me to really redraw the lines of "permissible". I truly can't believe that first of all, I allowed a baby to try out baby food while sitting on the table instead of properly clamped down in a high chair (we don't even own one anymore!) and secondly, to stick both hands in the food cup when I realized she was not interested! I have turned a new chapter! She sort of seems to be asking whether or not this was allowed... sort of like it went against everything she had read in the baby manual! She was ok with the first few bites but I think she really preferred experiencing the mushy much more than she enjoyed eating it! It was a great mix too- coconut milk, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and a little molasses. She seems to want to eat, though I prefer to hold off until she's closer to 12 mo. Just when I get a good mix going to give her, she decides she's really not into it after all! Maybe Buddyboy will like it!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, great pictures and great sleeper outfit! (I love brown on babies!) So I did wonder something how did she do with the sweet potatoes. I mashed a small bit for Nova when she was younger in my food processor and then gave her a few small bites but it came back to me later as a huge stomach ache:( Did she do ok with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I don't thinks she ate enough of the sweet potatoes to really cause an effect. I've never really had an issue with sweet potatoes with any of my kids, it's a great first food- but not if it causes tummy trouble!.

    ReplyDelete