Friday, May 8, 2009

I Dropped My Monkey.


We went to Homeschool Day at Elitches today and had a great time. Last year due to pregnancy I was limited to the Ferris Wheel but this year I tested fate with Shake, Rattle 'n Roll and the Tower of Doom. Next year I'm going with my gut feeling on the ride titles. Shake, Rattle 'n Roll will have to go on without me! I do not enjoy staring at the ground (a split second before flipping feet over head backwards) thinking I sure hope this machine doesn't drop me 60 feet to the awaiting asphalt below! I prefer the Tea Cups. The danger is something I create, along the lines of going in circles as fast as I can. The worse that can happen is that the cup can go spinning off of its pivot (not likely) or I might forget that Bubbadootz cannot handle motion rides (that was the fastest he got off any ride today) but it isn't certain death if I fall off! The Tower of Doom was pretty fun, for a freefall of 3 seconds anyway! I'm a screamer and I think they designed that ride to last only as long as the ride operators can take a certain pitch. StrongMan got to go with us this year and being a full grown kid himself he made it all the more fun! Last year no one dared to brave the Tower of Doom but with StrongMan it was all about bragging rights. I was glad however that this was the last ride before the park closed as he almost got pitched out! He really enjoys the science aspect of the rides and gravitational pull with something in your hand is icing on the cake! For the something-in-his-hand StrongMan chose an unsuspecting plastic monkey who had the misfortune of being forgotten in the bath tub. The kids were really excited to see said inch-tall monkey freefall with us. This small replica of a baby monkey was supposed to fall with us an inch above StrongMan's hand for 2 seconds and then plop into his hand as we came to a stop. The problem was that the monkey floated a little higher than an inch and in trying to retrieve the monkey from thin air it was tipped up and pushed away from his grasp. OOPS! He tried the mad scramble to grab it and when all else failed just ducked and covered his head (as much as possible in the restraining seat) and waited for the solid thump of a flying monkey. Nothing happened, except that the ride operator saw the monkey jump for freedom and fall just outside of where the he could inspect what had fallen. In our angst to not have to confront the powers that be and have to confess, Nena stooped and pocketed said monkey and we all quickly made our escape. The persistent operator (no doubt thinking the ride was falling apart) point blank demanded, "What WAS that?," to which StrongMan nonchalantly responded, "I dropped my monkey". The operator thought he was being played the fool and was not happy about the lack of closure. We just walked faster to get away from certain expulsion from the park. It was a great adrenaline rush to end the day!

2 comments:

  1. You are brave! I hate roller coasters with a passion:( Shane a few years back insisted I ride the one at Cliffs and I did but never once opened my eyes. I hate all the rides! Event the baby ferris wheel.

    ReplyDelete